Saturday, April 25, 2009

Checklist for performing

You may have seen these on other middle eastern / belly dance / raqs sharki sites; but, it always seems to be quick list or product promotion event rather than a how to. So, here are some suggested questions to help YOU build YOUR list. Then, I’ll share my own.

Questions to ask yourself:
1. Where will I be performing? (Can I finish getting ready there or should I leave my home in full costume? Will you need shoes? Was there a special request that requires something I need to bring, like zills, extra hip scarves, etc.?)
2. What will I do when it is my turn to perform? (Do I have my music? Do I have a backup plan? So I need props like a veil, cane, etc.? Is this a group number that requires specific costume parts or accessories?)
3. Am I in charge? (Do I need to bring a CD player? What about an extension cord? Will I need glasses to read those nicely labeled CD’s the dancers will bring? Do I need to bring anything for my dancers, like water, band aids, etc.?)
4. What will I do after the show? (Do I need a change of clothes? Oh, yeah – do I need a real bra, then? Do I need a bag to hold all of this stuff? And, do I need a UHAUL to carry it?)

Ask yourself these questions every time you get ready to perform and you will cover 90% or more of what you need.

Then, one time, allow yourself an extra 10 minutes to get ready for a gig. As you get ready, have a way to write down EVERYTHING that you use or need for the performance. I put my list on the last page of my student notebook, which I take with me when I go to classes, to out of town workshops, etc. This list will help you not only when you are getting ready for your ordinary halfa, it will also be very useful if you have to pack to travel for a performance.

Here is my comprehensive list, which reflects my priorities, now that I look at it!

Costume items:

Cover-up
Bra / top
Belt / scarf
Skirt / pants
Veil
Shoes
Underpants that don’t show
Bra that doesn’t show
Earrings
Necklace
Bracelets
Rings
Anklets
Zills
Hairclips / bands
Hair accessories
Props: cane, sword, fan, candles

Cosmetics:
Powder
Mascara
Lash comb
Eyeliner
Brow makeup
Lipstick – base
Lipstick – top coat
Glitter
Hair brush
Hair spray
Styling paste
Styling tools
Eyelashes
Lash glue
Tweezers
Toothpicks (for the item below and the lashes)
Bindis
Mirror
Eye shadow
Eye makeup remover
Qtips
Cotton balls
Baby oil (the only thing that takes off my lipstick!)


“Insurance Items”
Double stick tape (a wonder on a roll!)
Sewing kit
Safety pins
Bobby pins
Does anything need batteries? (for cameras and candles, people!)
Music
Backup music
3rd choice!
Bag to hold it all
Hangers
Bodystocking
Lint roller
Razor scissors
Pain meds
Bandaids
Nailfile
Sharpie marker
Camera and film
Change of clothes and shoes
Tampons or pads

Now, I don’t use every item every time, but I do review this list and the questions above every time. Make your own list that works for you – it is the creation and the review of the list that makes the difference, not just what’s on it!

Happy dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that offend will be removed.