Saturday, July 7, 2012

Getting Your Act Together Means Being Able to Find Your Music!

Before, a forlorn CD bookshelf, shared with the family, and oveflowing with CD's of all types.  When I get ready for gigs, I stand there thinking, "Somewhere in there is my music.  Somewhere . . ."

After, oh, about 10 years of dancing, I have quite a few numbers I have performed.  For each, there is a single CD (labelled appropriately); but, the problem is that they were all mixed in with my "listening music."  I couldn't find them quickly.  And, when a show mandates that my music be LESS than a certain time limit, finding "just the right music" is daunting.


After, saved by a shoebox and some index cards.*  Fancy, eh?  All I did was put my music all in one spot.  They were already (mostly) in paper sleeves to ID them as show music.  A quick run through allowed me to put the ones in sleeves that were not all ready in them, sort them by duration (less than 3 minutes, less than 4 minutes, etc.)  AND, it allowed me to pull aside the ones that were actually (gasp!) ROUTINES!  Being retentive, I did put them in order of length, shortest to longest within each category.

And in front, you will find the little CD cases I made with a label on them to make transport more secure.

And yes, for all you geeks out there wondering about my sort by time method, I was, in fact, channeling this:


*Well, at least my performance music is saved.  The rest will require another day.  ;)


1 comment:

Comments that offend will be removed.