Sunday, October 5, 2014

Chapter 1: Introduction

Long ago, about seven years before I set foot in a dance class, before I started sewing again, and when I was a teeny 32 A, I took a job in retail.  I was desperate, because the economy decided it was a great time to have a recession, right when I was just out of college.

I wound up working at the local Leggett over the Holidays as a temporary clerk.  Because they were desperate, and because I seemed like I learned quickly, they decided I would be a “floater.”  I would show up for work, and they would put me where they were understaffed.  The Holidays ended, but the recession didn’t.  Fortunately, they let me stay.

So, I floated between departments for a while.  Then, Inventory time came in the Lingerie department.  Even the regular staff hated this chore.  The very reason that made the department wonderful made Inventory horrible: We had a wonderful Buyer who knew her Brands and ensured we had an inventory to fit almost anyone.

This meant there were hundreds of styles and over a thousand bras to sort and count.

Retentive, organized me loved it!  I volunteered to help there, counting carefully and quickly learning how to read the style codes, how to understand the sizes, and all of the Brands (at least ten) that we carried – and that was just the bras.

When Inventory ended, they asked me to stay.  I wound up working there about a year, earning my first TWO Professional certifications, from Bali AND Playtex, and became a Certified Fitter.  I still have the measuring tape from Olga; but, the certificates stayed on the walls after I left.  I wish I had kept them.


I learned a lot, not just about Brands and fit, but also about the women who wear them.  Even a few men, as I had the delicate honor of helping a young, tentative drag queen try to find something in that conservative store and conservative environment.

One of the things I learned is that shopping for bras is one of the most painful, nerve-wracking things women do.  Many avoid it because they think it is better to have a poor fit than to go through shopping again.

It is time to change that. 

Come with me to understand that garment you wear everyday.  Let me help you see what it is telling you about fit, and what to change to make it fit better.  We might even have some fun along the way.


Will you join me?

1 comment:

Comments that offend will be removed.