Saturday, March 14, 2015

Circle Skirt Patterns, for Pi day!

Today is March 14, 2015, abbreviated 3/14/15 (at least here in the States), and at 9:26 AM, you will have the first 7 digits of Pi, making this "perfect Pi day."

To celebrate, I thought I would dig out an EARLY work, my first circle skirt pattern.  It's long, it's complicated; but, it works and has some good tips in it.  There are things I do differently now:

1. I use double fold bias tape for the elastic casing, instead of a self casing.  It is faster, more durable, and comes in a ton of colors.  I stock up when it is on sale.
2. For slit skirts, I do not attach the front and back panels at the waist.  Instead, I leave "tabs" on the ends of the bias tape, about 3-5" hanging off of each end.  This allows the skirt to be quickly pinned to the right waist size.
3.  Bonus: bias tape puts up with a LOT more pinning than delicate skirt fabrics.  It keeps the waist a lot more stable.
4. To even up hems after hanging for two weeks, put the skirt on a hanger and hook that hanger onto a shower curtain rod or other curtain rod.  (It is great if it is a shower rod over a tub, as the tub provides a bench to sit on.)  "Fluff" the skirt a bit, noticing where the shortest edges are, typically at a side seam. Cut away the longer bits, evening out the hem, until it is even.  Eileen (Alaena) taught me this trick, and I love it.

So, here you go, my longwinded but beloved pattern.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments that offend will be removed.